We began this year optimistically, and while that sentiment remained through our team’s discussions this year, it certainly has been challenged at times by COVID’s impact on our lives—both in the business and personal realms. Despite these obstacles, we are grateful for how 2020 is shaping up for Cascadia and our clients, and appreciative of those who have worked with us to forge ahead, focusing on bright spots amid the uncertainty in the broader economic landscape.
We are seeing successful outcomes for our clients, as valuations for growth companies that have performed well through COVID are as strong or even stronger than before the pandemic began. This dynamic has been a key driver of activity this year, and an impetus for sustained momentum in Q4.
Below, we’re sharing a few highlights of our activity and insights to-date in 2020.
- Busier Than Ever in Q4: Transaction Activity
- Keeping a Pulse on What’s Now and What’s Next: Sub-Vertical Insights
- Tackling the Fourth Industrial Revolution: RAAI Practice Launch
- Growing the Cascadia Family: Team Updates
- Thought Leadership and COVID-19 Insights
- Preparing for a Strong Start to 2021: A Look Ahead
Busier Than Ever in Q4
Cascadia has closed over 20 deals this year—17 of those since March. As we round the corner toward the election and the end of the year, things are busier than ever, and our team is experiencing record activity. We have a high level of active engagements, with 20 transactions under LOI and many deals set to close before the ball drops on a sparsely populated Times Square this New Year’s Eve.
Keeping a Pulse on What’s Now and What’s Next
COVID’s nuanced impacts to industry sub-segments reinforced the decision we made to organize our teams under sub-vertical focuses. Throughout 2020, we have offered sub-vertical insights from our team so those in our network can benefit from their deep industry knowledge.
Read our newest “What’s Now and What’s Next?” pieces from Erik Einwalter on momentum in the plant-based foods sector and from George Sent on how buyers are evaluating opportunities in the branded food world.
You can browse other prior sub-vertical insights below:
- What’s Now and Next in Energy Storage?
- What’s Now and Next in the Pet Industry?
- What’s Now and Next in Retail?
- What’s Now and Next in Robotics?
- What’s Now and Next in Telehealth?
- What’s Now and Next in Advanced Manufacturing and Industrial Automation
- What’s Now and Next in Imaging Equipment Service
- What’s Now and Next in Marketing Technology?
- What’s Now and Next in The Independent Salesforce Partner Ecosystem?
- What’s Now and Next in Beverage?
- What’s Now and Next in Business Consulting Services?
- What’s Now and Next in Maritime?
Tackling the Fourth Industrial Revolution: RAAI Practice Launch
With the Fourth Industrial Revolution well underway, we announced the formation of our Robotics, Automation, and Artificial Intelligence (RAAI) Practice earlier this month. As one of the nation’s first emerging growth investment banking practice groups dedicated to these sectors, our team is well-positioned to provide the nuanced M&A and capital raising guidance business owners and entrepreneurs in this sector need as RAAI technology continues to upend critical industries, resulting in permanent market shifts.
Thought Leadership and COVID-19 Insights
Throughout the year, we’ve also shared our thoughts on how the Coronavirus is impacting M&A and capital markets, as well as deep dives in select industries.
M&A and Capital Markets Insights
- How is Coronavirus Impacting M&A and Capital Markets? March 11, 2020
- Proactive Actions for Middle Market Company Owners to Consider in These Challenging Times March 19, 2020
- Opportunity Does Not Go Away, It Only Changes Form April 19, 2020
- COVID-19’s Impacts Underscore the Value of Sub-Vertical Expertise and Relationships May 26, 2020
- Navigating the New Normal: A Toolkit for Business Owners June 17, 2020
- Minority Investments Gain Momentum as Market Shifts July 16, 2020
- Family Office Appetite for Direct Equity Investments Grows Amid Public Market Volatility August 13, 2020
- Achieving Market-Clearing Valuations in the Post-COVID Environment September 24, 2020
- Beyond the COVID-19 Catalysis, Telehealth is Here to Stay June 24, 2020
- Robust Telehealth Platforms Positioned to Sustain Increased Visit Volumes Long-Term July 28, 2020
- Behavioral Health’s Telehealth Transformation Has Staying Power Post-COVID October 20, 2020
Food, Beverage & Agribusiness Insights
- The Effect of COVID-19 on the Food & Beverage Business Environment March 17, 2020
- Growth-Oriented Food Companies Look to Co-Manufacturing to Aide in Capital Efficiency May 12, 2020
- Cascadia Capital’s Food & Ag Team Release Mid-Year Update for it’s 2020 Washington Tree Fruit Industry Report August 7, 2020
- Opportunities within the Agricultural Equipment Market August 11, 2020
- Washington State Farmland – The Gold Standard Inflation Hedge August 25, 2020
Technology & Business Services Insights
- COVID-19: What we are hearing from our B2B services clients April 10, 2020
- The Road to 2021: Operational and Financial Considerations for B2B Software Firms June 5, 2020
Growing the Cascadia Family
This year has reminded us all how important it is to have a dedicated team by your side as new challenges arise. Our team has grown in size and experience, with 12 new team members joining us in 2020. We welcomed the addition of three seasoned managing directors, Nicodemo Esposito, Katie Bellows, and Adam Stormoen, and celebrated the promotion of Cascadia veteran Erik Einwalter to managing director.
Preparing for a Strong Start to 2021
Our Cascadia team remains committed to finishing 2020 with strength, supporting our clients’ objectives and closing multiple transactions in early 2021. We greatly appreciate the support of our clients and partners through this unprecedented year, and we look forward to working together to continue to help entrepreneurs and business owners create and realize value.
We are available as a resource to you and your network should you wish to discuss any of our industry sector areas of focus, transactions or insights on the broader M&A market. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly using the contact information on our team page, or you can browse bankers by industry here. You can also stay up to date with Cascadia Capital’s latest insights by following us on LinkedIn.